Subject: Re: sparc kbd patch for headless machines (PR port-sparc/4208)
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/03/1997 12:48:31
On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Gordon W. Ross wrote:

: All of that (leaving out kbd/ms) was already done on the sun3,
: and could easily be integrated into the sparc port.  See:
:
: 	sys/dev/ic/z8530*
: 	sys/dev/sun/*
:
: I would try this and offer changes, but I'm already too busy.

Did sun3x inherit this?  (Just curious; I may be inheriting a Sun3/80 for a
whole $20 soon.  :)

Actually finished doing this for sparc already--I dunno if my new post has
reached you yet, but there's a full blown patch in place of the prliminary
one on the ftp site:

ftp://ftp.duh.org/pub/NetBSD-hacks/sparc/kbdmsfb.diffs

I don't actually see anything relevant to change in sys/dev/ic/z8530*,
unless sparc doesn't yet use the MI version of these files and uses custom
code in zs.c.  Sparc still uses MD drivers for 'ms' and 'kbd' (should this
be "fixed" by 1.3?), but I didn't have to change those files either--just
had to #if-#endif wrap some trampoline calls in various other sparc specific
files, and give them real entries with a 'needs-flag' in files.sparc.

I also went as far as to yank out the framebuffer device automatically if
there's no framebuffer configured into the kernel.  (After all, if you
have no frame buffer, no one's ever going to call fb_attach()....  :)

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.