Subject: Re: keyboard lockups, redux from end of July
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/25/1997 07:45:21
> I was looking at PR#4001, and remembering a discussion where "der
> Mouse" had patched a sparc kernel to pretend it had gotten a
> presumed-lost reset code from his keyboards, to prevent lockups.  The
> missive was dated on the last day of July, and contained a patch.

...but the patch was really a kludge-around.

> Has anything further progressed on this particular problem?  Has
> anyone else seen keyboard lockups?

pk found a race condition and committed a patch that should fix it.  I
haven't reported back on it, though, because I can't reproduce it for
site-specific reasons.  (At the site where I observed the problem,
there are two relevant SPARCs: an SS2 and an SS5.  The 2 doesn't
exhibit the problem; I saw it on the 5.  And the way the 5 is being
used has changed - it's now running (gag!) Solaris, rather than being
the NetBSD machine on my desk - so I can't casually take it down to
test this.  I will see if I can get them to let me have a little
downtime so I can test-boot a couple of kernels, but don't hold your
collective breath.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca