Subject: Re: How to reset the bootprom password on an ELC?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/24/1997 06:46:53
> Say there is a SPARCstation ELC that has a password set on the boot
> prom.

> Say this ELC doesn't have an OS.

> What is needed to reset the password to allow access to the prom?

Simplest thing is to supply a boot setup on whatever medium the PROM is
set to boot from, boot an OS, and either bash the security-mode setting
in the prom or just grab the password out of the prom.  I can't recall
whether an ELC is an "open"prom machine or not; if /dev/eeprom (as
opposed to /dev/openprom) works, "strings /dev/eeprom" will usually
show the password.  (I can't recall which sort of PROM an ELC has.)
The NetBSD eeprom command does not understand the security-mode and
security-password fields; the SunOS eeprom command understands at least
the former.  It might be possible to do something directly with the
ioctls to bash the security-mode under NetBSD.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca