Subject: Re: compat_sunos
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/22/1997 17:26:54
On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

: The compat_sunos manpage is very complete. I did what it says, and a few
: things run. One problem that keeps coming up is that
: libX11.so.4 can't be found.
: libX11.so.6.1 is present in the netbsd libraries.
:
: Should I copy libX11.so.4 over from SunOS, or is there a way to use the
: later library?

You have to use the /usr/openwin/lib/lib*.so.* libraries in
/emul/sunos/usr/openwin/lib/, because the SunOS shared libraries are
somewhat different from the NetBSD shared libraries.  With those files in
place (and a symlink from /emul/sunos/usr/openwin/lib/X11 to
/usr/X11R6.3/lib/X11) just about any SunOS X ("OpenWindows") program should
work fine.

Heads up to the list:  I'm working on a repackaging of SunOS libraries and
compatible pathnames (symlinks to their "correct" NetBSD locations), that
will be available to anyone that has a licence to SunOS.  It includes a
gcc-compatible cross compiler and linker that is capable of building SunOS
applications (including wrapper scripts to use SunOS's /bin/sh and
sunos-compat make).

Expect this in a week or two.  If people want a version that only includes
the symlinks and custom binaries (to use your own CD-ROM and avoid licence
ambiguities), I'll consider it.  Plan is, it will be full binaries including
the minimal SunOS 4.1.3_U1 libraries and binaries that differ from NetBSD,
downloadable only with a Web registration keycode.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.