Subject: Re: SunOS compatibility kudos
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solutions.solon.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/24/1997 01:33:58
   I think the classic demonstration is "put a NetBSD kernel on a Sun
   box and boot".  I'm told this works, and the only way you can tell is
   that everything is faster and more reliable.

i did this a VERY long time ago.  before the first NetBSD/sparc snapshot
from theo was ever released (but not long before).  after hassling theo
for more info on the sparc port, he gave me a kernel to try out... i booted
it on my ss1+ that was at the time running sunos 4.1.3 or later.  the things
that failed were the kvm-like binaries, telnetd and rlogind.  i'm fairly
sure that the kvm-like stuff is still broken :-), but, i seem to recall that
pk fixed the pty bugs recently.

.mrg.