Subject: Re: SunOS compatibility kudos
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/22/1997 16:00:55
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:

: If you could write up a set of instructions (and warnings for things to
: watch out for), I'm sure that it would be happily added to the web pages on
: www.netbsd.org under the NetBSD/sparc section...

I'll do so sometime this weekend.

: Do you think the technique would work for Solaris, also?

Possibly, but because the SVR4 emulation is a little unstable yet (I've had
kernel panics using it with Solaris 2.5.1 libs, but not with 2.4 libs), I
won't yet try it.  The SunOS emulation is optimal, though, because Solaris
and SunOS can both run the binaries--Solaris has an optimized SunOS
emulation system, and NetBSD uses a BSD file layout (for applications that
are looking for particular files, like utmp).

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.