To: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/17/1997 00:18:08
Miguel de Icaza said:

>This is full 64-bit port, fine grain locking SMP kernel on Ultra
>X000 Enterprise systems.
>
>Boy, David Miller is coding fast.

>From: "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>

>That should have everything one would need to install UltraPenguin-1.0
>on high end Enterprise systems.  Much thanks to those who helped me
>via the test images I've been putting up.

I have to wonder why anyone would put Linux on a $100000+ Sun ULTRA
system. Especially since Linux isn't actually SMP. And Sun wouldn't
support the combination...

What I like most about NetBSD is the slow careful development path that
is being taken to ensure a stable, useable, modern BSD operating system.

I recently started a new job. One of the machines in my office is a P166
PC loaded with Slackware from CDROM. I had trouble building common apps
on it such as elm. It was apparently Linux 2.0.0.

And I certainly don't want an OS named after a oily, arctic bird that
smells like dead fish. :-)
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com