Subject: ie0: DMA underrun
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/29/1997 13:59:04
	Some time ago... I spend a lot of time chasing a problem that
was causing my system to crash when I used the ethernet too much.  I
have since obtained a new motherboard, so I'm hoping the old problem
is unrelated.

	I'm running a Sun4/260.  In it, I have:

1-2	260 CPU board
3-6	80M memory (2x32, 2x8)
7	SCSI (si0), 4 disks, 1 tape
8	cgtwo0
9,10	empty
11	xdc0 (4 Fujitsu 850M)
12	ie1

	The cgtwo0 is connected, but I use ttya as my console.  I boot
from xd0a, and swap to all four of the xd drives.  The system is
running 1.2.1, pretty much stock.

	Now... my problem:

	Scrolling up my console (rather constantly) is the message
'ie0: DMA underrun.'  It seems related to ethernet traffic.  I notice
a degradation in system response when these messages arrive (keyboard
and mouse movement pause for <1/10 of a sec).

	Ie1 is not attached to a network (or configured) right now
(although going 'ifconfig ie1 inet 192.168.1.1' doesn't stop the
messages)... but I am planning to use it (esp. with the packet
filtering stuff being available ???).

	Any ideas?

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.velocet.net/~dgilbert             |   are precisely opposite.  |