Subject: Re: Increasing data seg size.
To: None <matthieu@laas.fr>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/22/1997 19:44:09
>>>>> "Matthieu" == Matthieu Herrb <matthieu@laas.fr> writes:

Matthieu> You wrote (in your message from Tue 22)
>> I'm having problems with X just exiting (usually after I have
>> several large graphical applications loaded with lots of stuff on
>> the screen)... and since I havn't been getting a core file, I've
>> been figuring that I may need to increase the data seg
>> size... except I can't find the parameter I'm looking for.
>>
>> Anyone done this on 1.2.1?

Matthieu> under csh: limit datasize 32768 under sh: ulimit -d 32768

Matthieu> Since the Xserver is also using lots of stack space and
Matthieu> NetBSD default limit is a little low you may also need:

Matthieu> limit stacksize 2048 or ulimit -s 2048

[2:2:302]dgilbert@repeat:~> ulimit -a
core file size (blocks)  unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)   65536
file size (blocks)       unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) 71096
stack size (kbytes)      65536
cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
max user processes       80
pipe size (512 bytes)    1
open files               64
virtual memory (kbytes)  131072

	I want to actually increase the 'hard' size (which is a kernel
parameter somewhere, I believe).  Before you go off the deep end about
the sizes... the sparc has 80 Meg memory --- and yes I use it all ---
I often have 20-30% of my 256 M of swap used.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dgilbert@velocet.net             |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.velocet.net/~dgilbert             |   are precisely opposite.  |