Subject: Re: NetBSD Sparc Install troubles...
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Jim Palmer <palmerj@vail.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/21/1997 10:59:38
>> "dd if=miniroot-121.fs.4c of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s1 bs=20b conv=ascii"
>                                                              ^^^^^
>
>Just a typo or did you use that in your actual command? This would
>certainly get the wrong bits on the disk..
>
>-pk

Paul, Marshall, Jeremy, Doug

Thanks for your responses.  I just *KNEW* it had to be something incredibly
stupid.
Turns out I was using an "ascii" conversion in my dd command instead of "sync".

U...F...B!!!

%-6

I used to do a lot of ebcdic to ascii conversions from 9-track tapes in
another job
and it must have slipped out of some dusty corner of my brain (of which I
have many!).
It helps when you RTFM, but not if you can't read.

Embarrassed, but running!

Thanks All!

-Jim Palmer

		       		Jim Palmer
Systems Engineer
HPCC/ESS Network Group,
NASA/HSTX, Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 933, Bldg 28, #W277,
Greenbelt, MD 20771
Phone: 301-286-1376
email: palmerj@vail.gsfc.nasa.gov

"The kid's in there drinking my best gin. Get him out of here before
I put a spike in him and use him as a decanter."

					- W.C. Fields