Subject: Exabytes and gdb
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J.D.Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/08/1997 09:57:05
Software is 1.2.1 (GENERIC), hardware is Sun 4/330.

I have noticed an oddity with an Exabyte (I've tried 8200 and 8500).  The
first time I access the drive after loading a new tape, I get (e.g. with
'mt stat') :

	mt: /dev/nrst0: Input/output error

Any subsequent open is fine :

	SCSI tape drive, residual=0
	ds=0
	er=0
	blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)
	density: 20 (0, 0, 0, 0)

The 8500 reports as :

	st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <EXABYTE, EXB-850085QanxP5, 0415> SCSI2 1/sequential removable
	st0: drive empty

I had a quick look at st.c but I'm not sure why it (stopen presumably)
returns ENXIO.  Is there something I should add to the quirks list?

The other thing is trying to debug with gdb.  If I set a break point and
then try and continue past it, I get :

	Program received signal SIGTRAP (5), Trace/BPT trap

at the same place a few times and eventually it will continue on.  If I
try to single step, it will either hang or eventually (after a few minutes)
stop at another line - and not necessarily the next line.  Is this something
in gdb or in the kernel?

Thanks,