Subject: Headless suns: ipc and ipx don't work.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/30/1997 22:52:36
Hi,

I've been running some tests with headless machines:
ELC works fine with a -current kernel, even headless.
IPC, IPX both don't work. The machine boots perfectly, but as soon
as the kernel has done the config-work, it prints "root on sd0a"
then on a new line something like An, and after that, the console output
stops. However, ^C is still passed to /etc/rc or init, and sending a
break will stop the machine or put it in the debugger (with the terminal
working again).

This is all quite indepentent of the eeprom-settings.
Terminal and cable are the same in both cases, except for the (sun)
adapter from DB25 to mini-din-8 for the IPC/IPX.

Further symptoms: on the ipx/ipc. there is a second copy if /sbin/init
(still) running by the time I can telnet into it, and when the
machine has been netbooted, it keeps making heavy nfs-traffic to
a file called console, probably /dev/console.
When booting with a keyboard, none of this happens.

Any clues?

Regards, happy hacking, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
          Lynx users have a "Right to follow a link", too!