Subject: console for headless ipc?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/25/1997 07:28:04
Hi everyone,

When a Sun machine doesn't have a keyboard or graphics card connected,
it will use ttya for it's console interface. This would also happen if
input and output-device are set to ttya instead of screen and keyboard
in the eeprom.
Under NetBSD, this doesn't quite seem to work: On my IPC the ttya will
function as a console up to (and including) the kernel's autodetecting
and then, after two  garbage characters, output to the terminal stops.
Input, however, still seems to work: During my first attempts at net-
booting, it would get stuck on yp, a ^C would  make the machine go on
into multi-user. Break on the ttya will still get you into debug.

Questions:
1. Is this a generic port-sparc problem, or only with the IPC?
2. IS it something that can/ought to be fixed?

Running headless also prevents you from getting a login-prompt on
ttya, apparently.

Yes, my /etc/ttys settings are the same as the eeprom ttya-settings,
and the ttya still echos properly after it has ceased to give output.
I have tried this with login enabled on only console, on only ttya, but
neither works.

Regards, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
          Lynx users have a "Right to follow a link", too!