Subject: Re: pv_unlink (not pv_unlink0) panics?
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/1997 23:57:19
At 20:10 -0700 6/20/97, matthew green wrote:

>hmm... i had thought jason ripped out the "mirroring" code from
>the ccd ... it's Bad.  i don't suggest using it.

That's my conclusion at this point - I tried it against two disks on the
same controller, and got the same panic. It should be ripped out or
disabled until completed.

>jason was working on a (separate) mirror driver, but, we know
>how busy he is, and i'm sure he hasn't touched it for months...
>
>perhaps you wanna finish it for him?  :-)

Deja Vu! My very first UNIX systems programming project on my first job out
of college was writing a disk driver (for ST-506/419 "winchester" disk
drives - anybody remember that interface standard? It later evolved into
ESDI) for 7th Edition UNIX.

Some things in the kernel have changed, clearly, so I wouldn't expect any
quick results - I've got some learning to do. However, if I have a skeleton
to start with, I can probably make some headway. The nice thing about this
kind of project is that I won't need any hardware documentation (which we
often seem to have trouble getting).

Mark me down as "interested", although I'd like to tackle the gnats-summary
web pages thing that I suggested, first.

	Erik <fair@clock.org>