Subject: Re: pv_unlink (not pv_unlink0) panics?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/20/1997 16:50:12
On June 20, you wrote:
> Does your kernel configuration have "options DIAGNOSTIC" on? If not, you
> will not get the "panic: pv_unlink0" - it is tested only when DIAGNOSTIC is
> on.

  Ahh!  I should've seen that, dammit. :-)

> I have not tested the official fix on my production system yet; that
> involves bringing the entire system up to -current from May 1 sources, and
> there have been a few changes since then; I'm going to do so tomorrow
> sometime.
>
> My experience was that SunOS binaries of programs compiled with gcc under
> SunOS 4.1.4 tickled this bug, mostly. A concerted effort to recompile the
> mot heavily used binaries in this category helped reduce the incidence, but
> the maddening part is that not every SunOS binary tickled the bug...

  Ok...I've just tried your updated patch in the PR...It still does
the same thing for me.  No SunOS binaries are involved; it blows up in
the same way doing a "make build" and also when doing large file
copies via NFS.  I still haven't used DIAGNOSTIC; I'll do that
tonight.

                              -Dave McGuire
                               mcguire@neurotica.com