Subject: Re: Iomega ZIP drive
To: None <N.R.McBride@city.ac.uk>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim@colba.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/1997 19:48:57
> Has anyone used one of these successfully under NetBSD 1.2 or 1.2.1?  I
> find after a short while that it just refuses to work.  If fsck's and
> mounts okay, then you can transfer a couple of megabytes back and forth.
> But all of a sudden:
>
>     esp0: RESELECT: 7 bytes in FIFO!
>     sd3(esp0:5:0): unit attention, data = 04 35 01 02 ac 00 40 00 00 05
>     43 00 00 07 01 00 00

> If anyone could shed some light, I'd be grateful.  It works fine on my
> Slowaris machine at work.  I was hoping that upgrading to 1.2.1 would fix
> things, but naaaah.

Yeah, I feel for you: I've lived with the problem for a while now. pk
(Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>) is apparently working on
it... IIRC it's a buggy SCSI chip or something. (I have been
using the ZIP drive on my NetBSD-amiga for the time being)

It's my major peeve about my Sparc so far (mainly 'cause I am
chronically short od diskspace, aren't we all...), and of course the
%$*%^ zs0a: fifo overruns....

Sadly, I know too little about netbsd and the SCSI protocol, never
mind the chip, to contribute anything...

Joe.