Subject: SS5 keyboard, followup
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/1997 06:35:00
After a couple of responses saying "it works for me", in reply to my
note about an SS5 whose keyboard seemed to go totally out to lunch, I
started putting debugging in kbd.c (and cons.c).  It seems that with
the particular hardware in use, the keyboard never sends back a reset
byte (0xff) when it gets reset...or at least, the kernel never sees it
if it does.  This is a problem because then kbd_reset never gets
called, so kbd_translate never has translation tables in place, so all
keystrokes end up being ignored.

I have no idea what's actually going wrong, but at least I have a
workaround.  I put code in kbd_translate so that after ten calls fail
for this reason, it bashes the state to simulate what kbd_reset does to
the shifted/unshifted/current table pointers.  At this point the
keyboard becomes usable.

A bit more experimentation and I may be able to tell whether it's the
keyboard or the machine....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca