Subject: Re: Sparc lawyers prove more stupid than suns (fwd)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/19/1997 09:12:21
In <Pine.LNX.3.96.970617140016.13539A-100000@allinux.idea-inc.com> allanc@idea-inc.com ("Allan 'Norm' Crain") writes:

>> That would likely still leave us open to trademark infringement,
>> because `spark' is sufficiently close to `sparc,' and is used in
>> a similar context, such that it would (as it's obviously intended)
>> likely make people believe that we are talking about the thing
>> referred to by the `Sparc' trademark.

>How about NetBSD/Spork? :) If nothing else, it's a hell of a lot of fun to
>say. Spork, spork, spork, spork, spork, spork, spork, spork...

This reminds me of the days about 10 years ago when I worked at a retail
electronics store here in Sydney, and we had a batch of dodgy pocket
scientific calculators come in which were a rip-off of a genuine model sold
by Sharp. These units had the brand name changed to Shrap instead! 8-)

So, we could be very damaging to Sun's Sparc spinoff and call it
NetBSD/Scarp.

Regards,

Craig.
--