Subject: Re: Sparc lawyers prove more stupid than suns (fwd)
To: Craig Dewick <cdewick@lios.apana.org.au>
From: Dennis Ferguson <dennis@jnx.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/18/1997 16:41:26
> Well, I have a small Sun surplus business running here in Sydney called 'Sun
> Ripened Kernels' ('http://www.zeta.org.au/~craig/srk.html' - plug plug
> plug!). I haven't seen anyone from Sun running my way to tell me I can't use
> 'Sun' in my business name. I even have the name registration certificate to
> prove that I have the right to the use the name.

On the other hand, the flash memory device manufacturer that was in the
building next door to my office until they moved a year ago used to be named
`Sundisk'.  Now they are named `Sandisk', apparently after getting a
letter from Sun's lawyers.

You can register and use just about any unique name you want, right up until
the point where someone takes you to court about it.  The amount of risk
you care to run in your choice of names may be moderated by the cost of
having to change your name later.

Dennis Ferguson