Subject: Re: Sparc lawyers prove more stupid than suns (fwd)
To: None <abs@anim.dreamworks.com, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, mjacob@feral.com>
From: Alan Perry <alanp@pacific.Eng.Sun.COM>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/1997 10:20:46
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 97 09:56:05 PDT
> From: mjacob@feral.com (Matthew Jacob)
>
> I think that Sun is getting worried that both Linux && NetBSD are proving
> more on the ball than Solaris.

Give me a break.

For starters, SPARC International is in the business of promoting the SPARC
architecture, not Solaris.

My guess that this move is related to trademark fun in the 90s.  These
days if you don't "adequately defend" your trademark you can lose it.
(Well, this probably happened in previous times as well, but computer
companies seem particularly interested in it these days.)

I am not saying that I support it (particularly the URL part), but I think
I understand it (well, except for the URL part).

> I suggest to both NetBSD-sparc && sparclinux that you you change the name
> to 'spark'. Don't fight it- eat the day or two of pain and just go around
> the damn fools.

Yep.  Damn fools.  How dare they try to assert any ownership rights to
their trademark!

alan perry
not speaking for Sun
not even working for Sun in three weeks