Subject: Re: Sun4m Audio
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@pa.dec.com>
From: Michael J. Miller Jr. <mke@netcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/11/1997 18:54:18
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Not only that, but the Linux code is (probably) GPL'd, and therefore
> cannot be used in the NetBSD kernel.

I don't think this follows.  There are several commercial products
that include GPL stuff.  For example the database I mention in my
signature bellow uses the GNU readline library.  In fact, it includes
everything from public domain to commercial code in the same package.
So long as you make the source code to the GPL'd portions available, along
with any modifications to those portions you have made you are fine.

Since NetBSD is available in source form I don't see the obstacle here.

Of course I'm not a Lawyer, but this is my understanding of the way
things work.  I think a lot of people got confused by the restrictions
on the use of Bison and thought they applied to all GPL'd code.

Mike Miller             mke@netcom.com
-
(Pseudo advertising ahead)
Check out MySQL (http://www.tcx.se/), a mostly free lightning fast SQL DB.