Subject: Re: Sun4m Audio
To: None <sbnoble@cindy.cs.ou.edu>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/10/1997 14:13:23
> What can I do to help bring about audio support on Sparc Station 5's?
>
> I am currently running SunOS 4 on an SS5 and would very much like to
> migrate to NetBSD-sparc, but require audio capabilities.  From looking
> at the mailing list archives, it seems this has been on the back
> burner for a long time.

Indeed ...

> I'm really tired of running a dead OS and have no desire to "upgrade"
> to the hell that is Solaris 2.  I am aware that SparcLinux supports
> audio on SS5's [...]

Couldn't someone steal the basics of how to deal with the chip from this
driver (once again, how is it that the Linux folks get documentation on these
chips/subsystems that lets them write drivers?)?

I'd like to build a complete set of MBONE tools for general distribution
(for NetBSD/SPARC, NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/Mac68K), but not knowing whether
or not the audio bits work - on the SPARCstation, at least - is one thing
that stymies me.

	- Greg