Subject: Sun4m Audio
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Seth B. Noble <sbnoble@cindy.cs.ou.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/10/1997 10:39:33
What can I do to help bring about audio support on Sparc Station 5's?

I am currently running SunOS 4 on an SS5 and would very much like to
migrate to NetBSD-sparc, but require audio capabilities.  From looking
at the mailing list archives, it seems this has been on the back
burner for a long time.

I'm really tired of running a dead OS and have no desire to "upgrade"
to the hell that is Solaris 2.  I am aware that SparcLinux supports
audio on SS5's, but their lack of compatiblity with UFS and unstable
emulation of SunOS 4 binaries would make that migration very tricky
and would involve an unacceptable amount of down-time.

I have extensive UNIX system programming experience, although I've
never dealt with kernel level drivers before.  I'm certainly willing
to put in some time to get myself a system I can live with.  I just
need whoever has the sun4m audio driver sitting on their shelf to
point me at what needs doing to make it work on SS5's.

--
"The captain stood up and pointed one finger, an effect that was ruined
 by a belch that rattled the walls slightly."