Subject: Re: Sun IPX
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/05/1997 14:53:46
> Is anyone running NetBSD on a SPARCstation 2 or IPX with a Weitek SPARCup?

(Assuming Erik meant a Weitek PowerUP)

Before I got my SS20/71 at work, I was using a SPARCstation 2 with a Weitek.
Quite a zippy little box, in my estimation.  Not a speed demon by any
stretch (now that I've gotten used to the SS20!), but more than adequate for
most tasks.  Just became noticably slow during busy times and other CPU
stressers, e.g. a /usr/src "make build" (which I didn't do too often anyway).

Right now I'm looking for a bare-bones SS2 for Casa de Greg, as this old
Korean TriGem SS1/IPC hybrid clone has become too torturous to bear (imagine
the pleasure of hitting "inc" in "exmh" while news batches are being
unbundled, and coming back a minute later to your "exmh" window and finding
that it STILL has a watch cursor in it and hasn't completed the "inc".  Sigh.)
I'll be looking for a Weitek for that, to be sure.

(Although I would also say that my first Weitek CPU chip in the aforementioned
 SS2 ended up dying on me, and it had to be replaced - luckily under
 warranty.  Buying a used box/chip might be fraught with peril.  Make sure
 the box is as cool as possible; I'm thinking if I get one that I might take
 my 2 existing internal disks out and put them in an external enclosure to
 lessen internal heat in the chassis.)

(Sorry for the non-NetBSD content  (-: )

But while I'm here ... hehe.  Is there anything we can do towards being able
to debug - even just a stack trace - core dumps from SunOS binaries being
run under SunOS Binary Compatibility?  My TriTeal CDE stuff seems to be
running just peachy, yet at weird random times - usually early in the AM
when I'm not even awake! - certain programs like "dtexec" et al. will randomly
and occasionally core dump.  This happens once every few days, on average ...

Can I drag the generated core dump over to a SunOS box and do anything
useful with it?  Or is it some sort of bizarro NetBSD/SunOS mutant hybrid
that neither NetBSD's "gdb" nor any SunOS tools would understand ...

	- Greg