Subject: Re: Sun IPX
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/05/1997 08:35:22
In message <v03020910afbc160ab229@[198.68.110.2]>, "Erik E. Fair" writes:
>At 23:57 -0700 6/4/97, David Elkins wrote:
>>How much do you think the following system would go for??

Maybe I'm just cheap, but some of these seem awfully high, Erik. :)

>>Sun Sparc IPX box
>
>$400.

For a bare IPX I wouldn't pay more than $200-250, at the most.
[After looking through misc.forsale.computers.workstation, even
this seems high]

>>32MB RAM
>
>$150.

I think this depends on what type of memory it is. You can get a
couple of 60ns 16MB 72-pin parity SIMMS for $160, NEW. [1]

>>1GB HD
>
>$100 - $150.

Again, depends on the drive, but I'd say about $100. A new
Seagate ST-31051N is only ~$200.

>>Sun floppy drive
>>type 4 keyboard/mouse
>>Sun BOOTABLE 2x CDROM (in IPX like case)
>
>$100

Probably reasonable. Those matching cases are cute. :)

>>19" Color Sun monitor
>
>$500

I swear I've seen these had for $150...

>>Built in CG-6 (GX accelerated framebuffer)
>>tons of scsi cables
>>both types of transcievers
>
>Offhand, $1200. On the other hand, the prices on the used market have been
>dropping...

Whoah! This is _BUILT IN_ on the IPX. It's just an accelerated CG-3, which
is only an 8-bit framebuffer. I bought a used CG-6 for my IPC over two
years ago and only paid ~$300.

>	Erik

For something like this, you should really just spend some time
browsing misc.forsale.computers.workstation (and relevant groups), to
see what current market prices are.

I found a similar system (only 16MB RAM, but _with_ monitor) in
m.f.c.w and the asking price is $650...

[1] http://www.teleport.com/~dany/prices.htm