Subject: SPARC 121 hell
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/05/1997 00:15:47
I had to reinstall the miniroot about 6 times before it would
work. I kept getting "panic: Illegal instruction" errors.
Yes, I have setenv sunmon-compat? false.

Now, I finally got everything installed, and boot for the first
time. GENERIC_SCSI3 (my boot dev is actually sd(0,3,0)netbsd),
and NetBSD registers it as sd1.

The kernel boots and:

root on sd1a
trap type 0x2: pc=f8013128 npc=f8013312c psr=8010c4<EF,S,PS>
panic: illegal instruction
syncing disks... done
frame pointer is at 0xf8121c00

then a bunch of more code which I dont want to write down on paper,
run to the next room, and type in. If you REALLY need it, I can.
(ug).

The only thing funny about my SS1 is that the NVRAM battery is dead.
I reprogrammed it (thanx!) and its got a proper ethernet address,
ID, etc. Under SunOS4.1.4 (which I still have on sd(0,2,0)),
I can do the net thang <twang>.

Thanx in advance,
		Nate