Subject: Re: bad eeprom?
To: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/1997 08:05:43
On Sun, Jun 01, 1997 at 04:55:28PM -0700, Nathan Gelbard wrote:
> Greetings,
> 	I've got a SS1 w/ SunOS 4.1.4 on it. Soon, it will be NetBSD!
> But, I've got a little problem. When it boots up, the bootbios
> claims that the ethernet address is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF. We had
> a problem a few years ago when a power outage/surge took out the
> eeprom, and we had it replaced (its the newest looking chip on
> the board!) Looks like it happened again (this machine has been
> off for a long time now). Can I just replace the chip? How
> much and where can I get one?

It's not an EEPROM chip, it's a RAM with a battery and the battery
has probably run out.  Look for the sun hardware FAQ, it contains
information about replacing the chip.  You have to set the Ethernet
hardware address and some other information in the new chip before
you can use the machine again.  I guess you can get programmed chips
from Sun, but they cost a lot more.  The empty one should be around
$20.

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri