Subject: Sun 4/260's For Sale
To: None <port-sun@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <StudioHaus@aol.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/1997 01:53:57
To whom it may concern:

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area to post an offering like this
and I don't mean to step on any toes here, but here is what I have.

I recently fell heir to 9, yes 9, Sun 4/260's.  These each have 24-32 Mb of
RAM, EtherNet, SCSI etc.... These are the large VME bus towers with 12 slots.
  Knowing next to nothing about UNIX operating systems I don't have much use
for them and was hoping to offer them for sale, making a little something off
them to further my own endeavors.

I can't tell you much about them; I ran across this little snip on an info
page:

<<

4/260 and 4/280

      Processor: SF9010 @ 16.67MHz, FPU: Weitek 1164/1165, MIPS: 10, MFLOPS:
1.6
      CPU: 501-1274/501-1491/501-1522
      Chassis: 260: deskside / 280: rackmount
      Bus: VME, 12 slot
      Memory: Physical: 128M with ECC Cycle: 60ns Virtual: 1G/process MMU:
Sun-4, 16 hardware contexts
      Architecture: sun4
      Notes: First SPARC machine, code-named "Sunrise". Cache much like
3/2xx, uses same memory boards -- 3/2xx to 4/2xx was an
      official upgrade path (which could stretch as far back as the 2/130 or
2/160).  >>

They were used as CADD stations by ALCOA starting around 1989 til 1994.  Each
comes with a keyboard, optical mouse and pad, a 9 knob CADD device for
adjusting zoom etc..., and assorted cabling.

Sorry, that's it.  I can also tell you what they do when I attempt to boot
them:

They go through a memory check and then attempt to access a remote server,
getting the message:

si:peek failed
ie:no carrier
ie:no carrier
ie:no carrier
etc.......

indefinitely until I hit the reset button on the back which kicked me into
"Watchdog reset" and then what I believe is the ROM monitor prompt. ">"
ROM Rev 2.8.4 is the ROM monitor.

Well that is my story. Sorry it is so long.  I guess I am just asking for a
bit of information and/or offers. If you choose not to respond I would
understand and then I apologize for taking so much of your time already.
 Again if I am in the wrong place, please let me know and I will tuck my tail
and run.

P.S.  These are heavy suckers (~250 lbs.) so shipping is an issue.

Any questions/comments please reply via e-mail.

Jonathan Steinhauser
Me & My Haus Studios
Pittsburgh, Pa.

StudioHaus@aol.com