Subject: Re: gcc 2.6.3
To: John R. Daily <jdaily@bbn.com>
From: Zadok <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/08/1997 19:25:53
On Wed, 7 May 1997, John R. Daily wrote:

> We're running NetBSD 1.2 on Sparc 5s, and having a good deal
> of difficulty with g++ 2.6.3 and libg++ 2.6.2.
>
> It took a fair amount of effort to get gcc and libg++ to
> compile, and now that they're compiled, I've discovered that
> any use of cout produces a segmentation fault.
>
> Does anyone have a libg++ 2.6.2 distribution compiled and working
> properly in this environment?
I compiled gcc 2.7.2.2 on a sparc and gcc 2.7.2.1 / libg++ 2.7.2 on a
hp300, both running NetBSD 1.1 without any difficulties, they both produce
working binaries although I didn't try to make a kernel with them...
The only problem occurs when I compile a library with the -fPIC flag set,
then the assembler complains that it didn't understand the "-K" flag ( a
look into the as manpage reveals, that this means "produce position
independent code" but the assembler seems to do that nonetheless...
the new compiler doesn't understand the headers for the old (2.4.5) libg++
anymore, but works fine with libg++ 2.7.2.

bye
Michael