Subject: RE: Profiling the zs driver...
To: None <James.Graham@Schwab.COM>
From: Michael Quigley <michael@goingv.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/01/1997 17:12:00
> Well, it's close.  I'm running an IPX with 64MB of RAM (packed
> this puppy!).  I'm running 1.2.1D-970427.  The zs driver has
> changed a bit since then, and I think either we have a code
> bloat problem, or, as someone else has pointed out (pk?)
> something else is spending too much time at splhigh
> or splclock which is causing the tty driver to block too
> many interrupts from the miserably small UART
> cache (3 bytes or something).

I would imagine that if the i386 port is using the same MI code for the
serial driver, those with 16450 and other UART chips with 1-byte buffers
are seeing terrible problems.

The more modern 16550 UARTs are probably fine, OTOH.

> I'm willing to parlay a modest sum of cash that as soon
> as you upgrade to 1.2.1D-current, you're going to begin
> having problems like mine.

*grin* "As soon as.."  I don't think I'll upgrade at all until this
problem gets figured out.

If I knew more about hacking kernels and device drivers, I'd be more
than happy to try to fix it myself.

> "It sucks, Beavis."

That it does.. But right now, at 1.2, its working wonderfully.

Let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do to help.

Michael
--
Michael F. Quigley Jr.                                  michael@goingv.com
CTO/CDO, Going Virtual, Inc.                                (704) 849-0731