Subject: Re: more zs stuff...
To: Joachim Thiemann <joachim@colba.net>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/30/1997 22:33:21
> Also, a question: is the sparc code using sys/dev/ic/zs8530* ? Or
> isn't that the same chip? What is the difference?

Yes, it's the same chip and no, the sparc port does not use that MI
code yet.

While I like the improved visibility of configuring devices (keyboard,
mouse, tty, etc.) on top of a base driver for the chip, I'm definitely
less charmed of the proliferation of 8530 specific code into the
top-level drivers, especially the mouse/keyboard front-ends.

Not only does this prohibit attaching a mouse or keyboard at something
other than a zs channel (if someone would feel like doing that), but it
also appears to bring aboard a load of complexity that I think should
be avoided:

	- hardware interrupt hooks for every device
	- software interrupt hooks for every device
	- both MI and MD front-ends for every device

I'd like to see the keyboard and mouse drivers be self-contained,
registering themselves with a capable back-end serving their
interface (for lack for `streams'), and just relying on an I/O buffer
in between, and notification running off a software interrupt.

-pk