Subject: Re: newfs-error when installing 1.2.1
To: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/13/1997 15:04:41
On Sun, 13 Apr 1997, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> > Subject: Re: newfs-error when installing 1.2.1
> > 	You can probably use sdd (ftp://ftp.mono.org/pub/sdd/)
> > 	to format/checkout the disk
>
> A nice tool, but it didn't really help me. Low-level formatting was fun, but
> didn't buy me more than doing the same with the 'format' command from Solaris.

	Apologies - I didnt realise you had the luxury of a Solaris host
	to format with :)

> I really wonder what's going on here, as i can partition and newfs the disk
> withoug any problem under Solaris (2.5). I've tested the newfs with
> kern.securelevel sysctl(8)'d to -1 and 0, but no chance in either. From looking
> at the newfs source, it seems there's a problem writing to the last sector of
> the partition.
>
> If it wasn't that it worked under Solaris, i'd say the disk's some sort of
> write protected. :(

	Have you tried different sized partitions - and (obvious though it
	may be) filled in the blocksize etc on the disklabel?

                David/abs               abs@anim.dreamworks.com

             ---- Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?" ----
             ---- Unix: "What do you need to get done today?" ----