Subject: Re: newfs-error when installing 1.2.1
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <Hubert.Feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/13/1997 19:20:07
> Subject: Re: newfs-error when installing 1.2.1
> 	You can probably use sdd (ftp://ftp.mono.org/pub/sdd/)
> 	to format/checkout the disk

A nice tool, but it didn't really help me. Low-level formatting was fun, but
didn't buy me more than doing the same with the 'format' command from Solaris.

I really wonder what's going on here, as i can partition and newfs the disk
withoug any problem under Solaris (2.5). I've tested the newfs with
kern.securelevel sysctl(8)'d to -1 and 0, but no chance in either. From looking
at the newfs source, it seems there's a problem writing to the last sector of
the partition.

If it wasn't that it worked under Solaris, i'd say the disk's some sort of
write protected. :(

Help!

Hubert

--