Subject: Re: More on the Netscape 4.0beta3 Borg
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/11/1997 23:42:33
Matthew writes:
>> Unfortunately, all is not joy in Mudville.  Java's now seemingly broken; e.g.
>> going to the "Try the Java applet version" link at the top of the JavaSoft
>> Home Page makes it immediately die with the "dlopen: stub interception
>> failed" error:
>
> hmm... i've seen this error when there is a path in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> that is /usr/lib but isn't literally ``/usr/lib'' (ie, ``/lib'' if it
> is a symlink to /usr/lib).
>
> is that happening?

Alas, no it's not.

$LD_LIBRARY_PATH was set to /usr/dt/lib:/usr/dt/X11R5/lib:/usr/openwin/lib
(by CDE).  I changed it to be (a) nothing; (b) only /usr/lib (yeah, I know,
Dept. of Redundancy Dept.) and nothing changed.

The comment before the SunOS dlopen() says

/*
 * Stub library for programmer's interface to the dynamic linker.  Used
 * to satisfy ld processing, and serves as a precedence place-holder at
 * execution-time.  If these routines are actually called, it is considered
 * a program-terminating error -- the dynamic linker has gotten very confused.
 */

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand what exactly is getting confused here
and causing the error.  Should I try a different (non-4.1.4) version of
/emul/sunos/usr/lib/ld.so?

	- Greg