Subject: Re: More quirks.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/09/1997 11:47:43
Michael Sanders wrote:
> Going back to the first disk I was trying to install 1.2.1 onto,
> I was getting esp timeout errors.  I realized I was using a 1.2
> kernel (since the 1.2.1 kernels weren't there when I first grabbed the sets),

Were you not able to use the 1.2.1 miniroot?  It certainly had a kernel in it,
although I would have preferred it to have been based on GENERIC_SCSI3 and
not GENERIC when I did my first post-install reboot and it couldn't find
anything in /etc/fstab  :-)

> /usr/mdec/binstall works, although I still can't boot from
> this disk.  The PROM probe-scsi prints 'Target 1' a newline, and then
> hangs ... It's an IBM 94G2441 540MB drive.  Could power problems
> cause something like that?  Any other ideas?  The 207MB drive
> works, but I'd like a little more space.  I suppose I'll
> have to try it in an external enclosure now.
>
> ...and that didn't work.  Any other reasons the drive would
> work fine but not be bootable?

I'm not sure what you're saying.  A disk that doesn't probe via probe-scsi
"work[s] fine"?  You certainly have to be able to see the disk from the
PROM with no problems in order to boot from it or do anything else  :-)

While we're on the subject, I'd *really* like to toss out some kudos to Paul
and Aaron and Chris and Jason and Christos and [insert remaining cast of
millions responsible for the SPARC port].  My SS20/71 at work with 1.2.1
and only Aaron's pmap.c patch is running as solid as a rock, just as solid
as my SS 2+Weitek was before.  No random core dumps, no nothing.  My only
problem at all at the moment is my continued problems with Netscape eating
the X server alive memory-wise.  (If only there was an audio driver ...  (-: )
This is really a nice piece of work, guys.  You should all be very proud.

	- Greg