Subject: Re: diskless boot fails on Super COMPstation 20S
To: George Robbins <grr@shandakor.tharsis.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/07/1997 19:07:59
On Mon, 7 Apr 1997 22:00:01 -0400 (EDT)
 George Robbins <grr@shandakor.tharsis.com> wrote:

 > As a guess I'd say there's something wrong with the way that the Boot
 > ROM monitor on this system is passsing the amount of memory available,

...snip...

 > Both NetBSD and OpenBSD share essentially the same code-base as far as
 > the Sparc machine specific stuff, so it's no surprise that they are both

...but the original poster noted that NetBSD booted much further along
than OpenBSD did.  This suggests to me that that "OpenBSD's" sparc code
or some other part of their kernel is probably broken.

 > systems is still new and not well tested across a broad range of systems
 > in the SS 10/20 class.  On a given system it may work well enough to be
 > useful or fail to boot, let alone run reliably.

NetBSD/sparc's sun4m support was _developed_ on an SS20.  The SS20 systems
that it is know to no work well with are the "viking" systems... they have
a different cache design.

In any case, I'd definitely suggest trying a recent NetBSD/sparc snapshot
(-current).  If you need one, I can build a kernel for you.