Subject: Re: Q: netbsd/sparc newbie problems
To: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@math.usf.edu>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/09/1997 21:32:23
On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Ken Wellsch wrote:

> Unfortunately booting snapshot/base.tar.gz:usr/mdec/boot (processed as
> per INSTALL.sparc) produces the PROM gripe "the image is not for this
> CPU type" or something similar.

This looks like it's due to a change that has netbsd now no longer
insert the sun magic number from the second stage boot program.
Someone else encountered this recently while trying to netboot;
the program that gets tftp'd across needs to be fixed up with:

    (echo -n 01 | tr 01 '\01\03'; tail +3c boot ) >fixedboot

to give it a magic number that the Sparc boot proms will understand.

So you can do this, or you can just use the 1.2 boot program instead.

I've cc'd this to Paul Kranenburg, since he was the one that made
the change and understands the issues here better than I do.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.