Subject: Re: Net booting - swap setup
To: Brian Toscano <bjt0513@megahertz.njit.edu>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1997 12:35:37
On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Brian Toscano wrote:

> Could someone please tell me how to setup the swap on the server?
> Is it just a directory?  Do I need to create a file also?

you need to make a file. Under SunOS I know you can:

  mkfile size[k|b|m] filename

so to create an 8MB swap file you would:

  mkfile 8m foo.swap

I'm not sure if that works under Solaris tho.

Under NetBSD you could use:

   dd if=/dev/zero of=foo.swap bs=8327168
(i think)

and I would imagine that the 'dd' version would work for Solaris too.

After that you just point the swap= line to that file.

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |