Subject: 4/330 cache parts?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: michael smith <miff@spam.frisbee.net.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/21/1997 03:06:01
Hiho knowledgable old Sun hardware people!  (I know you're
here, I lurk and learn from you when you least expect it!)

An acquaintance of mine recently came into posession of a
secondhand 4/330 pedestal unit, quite respectably configured.
(I told him he should run NetBSD on it; he runs a Solaris
 shop so far, but I think I convinced him 8)

Unfortunately, it's suffering from a cache data (not tag)
failure according to the diagnostics.  The cache memories on
this board are Cypress CY7C162-20PC parts, which are a
discontinued line according to the local Cypress supplier
(who I do a lot of business with, so I'm happy that they're
not just giving us the flick...).  They're asking about $7
each, but 4 weeks lead time and a 75pc MOQ, which is harsh
given that he only needs 16 to do a complete cache swap.

There exist a couple of alternatives at this point;

 - We can try sourcing some substitute parts (Quality
   Semiconductor's QS8882, or the LOGIC Devices L7C162).
   It's likely that similar leadtimes and MOQ numbers
   will apply though.

 - We can try to scrounge some parts off a dead unit of
   some sort.  Haven't had much luck there so far.

 - Perhaps we can find another CPU card.  They seem to
   be rare in this corner of the world.

 - We can ask the nice people on this list whether they
   have or know of someone who has a suitable quantity of
   these parts and is willing to part with them for a
   realistic price.

It'd also be nice to know if we were correct in trusting
the diagnostics, or whether this is a known 'feature' of
the board and the fault is really somewhere else.  A careful
visual inspection of the board doesn't seem to indicate
dry joints or a broken patchwire.

Thanks for any ideas you might have...

--
Mike Smith  *BSD hack  Unix hardware collector
The question "why are the fundamental laws of nature mathematical"