Subject: SuperCache used under NetBSD 1.2?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeremy H. Brown <jhbrown@ai.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/18/1997 16:43:04
I've recently installed NetBSD 1.2 on a sparc 20, with the intent of
doing experiments with memory management techniques with different
caches turned on or off.  Looking through the source code, however,
I'm unable to figure out if the 1MB E-cache (SuperCache) is ever
actually turned on -- certainly the code in cache.c (cache_enable)
seems to suggest that it's not, but I haven't observed the machine's
performance to be substantially worse than it was under SunOS 4.1.4.

Is the SuperCache turned on somewhere other than in cache_enable?  not
turned on?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

PS Is there a way to access SPARC alternate address spaces from ddb?

PPS If this is not the appropriate list to be asking this sort of
question on (I would guess here or netbsd-users?) please let me know
and I'll move to the correct forum.