Subject: New installation of NetBSD/sparc ...
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/13/1997 13:39:34
> Ok, thanks to the pointers from everyone,

Perhaps my previous message was unnecessary. :-)

> I now have NetBSD/sparc to the point where I boot multi-user ... and
> get the network configured well.

> But, I can't talk on the network.  I keep getting messages like:

> Feb  7 14:57:29 fawn /netbsd: le0: lost carrier

> There is not a network problem.

There isn't?  It sure looks like a network problem to me. :-)

Most likely, offhand, is that you're using a model of SPARC that has
multiple media supported with software switching, and you haven't set
the link0/link1/whatever flags with ifconfig to select the media in
use.

This assumes you have absolutely _zero_ network connectivity; if
anything at all is getting through (once the kernel is up - bootblocks
don't count), this isn't what's wrong.

If you have the networking hardware to do it, you might try switching
media and see if that cures it; alternatively, you can play with the
link* flags with ifconfig....

If you don't have multiple network media, I don't know what's wrong.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca