Subject: Boot question
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/13/1997 13:10:05
> I recently tried to boot NetBSD-1.2 on my SparcStation 5.  I'm
> currently running SunOS 4.1.3_U.  Here is what I did:

> I had an extra 100 meg partition so I put in a copy of netbsd and
> untarred base.tar.gz into that partition.  (/dev/sd1a)

>   I then tried to bood from sd1a by saying:

>      boot disk1:a netbsd -s

> The rom monitor then proceeds to tell me that the file read off the
> disk is not an executable file.

This sounds to me as though you didn't install the bootblocks on sd1.
Try something like this:

	# mount /dev/sd1a /mnt
	# cp /usr/mdec/boot /mnt/boot
	# sync
	# /usr/sbin/installboot /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rsd1a

and then try again.  As described above, you will need to be running
insecure (ie, single-user or with securelevel set to -1) to do that,
because sd1a will be mounted and thus /dev/rsd1a will be unopenable if
you're not insecure.  If sd1 has any other partition that begins at the
same point as sd1a (sd1c will do, if you have followed the convention
of keeping the a partition at the beginning of the disk), you can use
that partition on the installboot command line instead; in this case
you don't need to be running insecure.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca