Subject: sw: excessive xlen on 4/110
To: NetBSD Sparc Users <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/08/1997 16:44:15
I've just acquired a 4/100 with some external drives. (A 350 MB
Fujitsu, and 1 G and 1.5 GB Micropolises. Sad to say, the 1.5 GB
drive appears to have bit it. It returned some hard errors under
SunOS, and under NetBSD it just returns `not ready' whenever I try
to read from or write to it.)

It runs fine when booted off the network, and I've managed to get the
disks re-labelled and newfs'd. However, when I try to copy files onto
them, I get:

    si_dma_alloc: excessive xlen=0x10000

and then the machine panics. According to a comment in the source,
this is never supposed to happen. So why is it happening? :-)

Also, I note from Jason's comments in the source that there's still
work to be done on this driver, but he doesn't have a machine to
do it on. If he or anyone else is interested in working on it, I
could make arrangements to put this machine on the Internet, with
the ability to telnet to the console.

As an aside, is it possible to put a VME memory board in the third
slot of this machine? It's only got eight meg of RAM, and that's
all in 256K SIMMs. I'm kind of short on 1 MB SIMMs, since I have
so many machines that want them, but I might be able to dig up a
VME memory board from an old Sun 3/160 or something like that.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.