Subject: Boot question
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/06/1997 15:11:56
Hi,

  I recently tried to boot NetBSD-1.2 on my SparcStation 5.  I'm currently
running SunOS 4.1.3_U.  Here is what I did:

  I had an extra 100 meg partition so I put in a copy of netbsd and
untarred base.tar.gz into that partition.  (/dev/sd1a)

  I then tried to bood from sd1a by saying:

     boot disk1:a netbsd -s

The rom monitor then proceeds to tell me that the file read off the disk is
not an executable file.  I tried a stripped version of netbsd also.  I then
tried a copy of the miniroot with the 1.2 distribution.  In all cases, netbsd
is declared to "not an executable file".

Did I forget to set some ROM environment variable?

Does anyone have any helpful hints?

--
Phil Nelson                       NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
e-mail: phil@cs.wwu.edu           LPF: http://www.lpf.org