Subject: Further adventures with the Funky 10
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/04/1997 20:54:04
Ok, I'm still getting this from my 10:

le0: memory error
le0: card failed to initialize
Lance DMA error, see your doctor!
ledma0: error: csr=a0000012<ERR,IEN>

plus, now I'm getting this:
stray interrupt ipl c pc=f80c9e7c npc=f80c9e80 psr=4000007<S,PS>

The change? Different motherboard, and an SM61 instead of an SM51. The
board/CPU combo was in perfect working condition when it left the dealer
(he had been running Solaris 2.5.1 diags on it (SUNWvts?)).

It's giving the same symptoms as before, except it crashes faster now.
The SM61 causes it to crash faster, which I guess I understand.

If I try my SM51 with the new board, same problems. If I try the SM61
with my board, same problems.

If I disconnect one of the drives (the non-boot one), same problems. If
I hook it back up, and then unhook the floppy drive, then I get the same
problems. (I'm unhooking the power each time).

If I unhook the DELNI, and hook up a real transceiver, then I get the same
problems. If I unhook the AUI/Audio cable, I get the same problems.

If I run the drives off of a different power supply (ie -- not the 10's
supply), well, same problems.

What's left? What did we not check?

When I net-boot it, the Ethernet works fine -- until I fsck.

I'm using a different SIMM this time. Each of the times I test, I'm using
at least one 16Mb SIMM -- part no 5012273xxxxxx (where xxxxxx is the serial
number). Does that sound wrong to anybody?

Does anybody know why NetBSD would puke, scream, and shout about this when
Solaris only does weird things occasionally? (you know, weirder than normal --
like ls working, then not being found, then working for example).

Could this be a power problem? My apartment was built around 20-25 years ago,
so I wonder....

I just don't know what to do about this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Wow, has this been an unproductive week so far.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.    -   kpneal@pobox.com
XCOMM  House of Retrocomputing:            -   kpneal@eos.ncsu.edu