Subject: Re: random signals kill my processes with NetBSD-1.2
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/1997 18:55:36
Hello everyone,

(Rob Goode wrote:)
> I have the problem on my Sun SS20 (64 Mbytes,
> 1 Mbyte ecache) that a build of the NetBSD-1.2
> source distribution fails randomly during the
> build mainly with SIG 4 and SIG 11 core dumps
> of cc, cpp, make, sed, sh, etc.

Same with me, for instance building octave thinks just keep
crashing, mainly g++ and ld, and ar complains about it's own
files being in the wrong format. Just typing "gnumake" again will
usually get me past the problem, but having to type it 5 to 10 times
for a single build is rather.. discouraging. And, luckily a bit rarer, my
machine completely hangs during the linking of octave (wich uses about
70M of VM to link). I wonder if this is a VM-problem?
System here is an ELC, 28M fys, current kernel and 1.2 binaries except for
some patches and bugfixes.

> After a core dump I can restart the make and
> it will continue no problem (i.e. the core dump
> is random).
Yup, same here.

> Should I change nbuf, or MAXBSIZE, or the kernels
> start address? Or something else? Do I need to
> patch any files in the kernel?
Please let me know, too :)

Regards, Paul.
Paul Boven, <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>  PE1NUT  QRV 145.575 JO32KF
  Nothing would get done in the world, if we didn't have insomniacs.
           Or at least, nothing would get done at night.