Subject: Re: writing a driver for a serial board
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/1997 22:49:56
On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Jukka Marin wrote:

> It might also help to have a look at the actual hardware.  If it has mostly
> common chips (UART's, TTL logic), you might be able to find the data sheets
> for those IC's and find out how the board works and how to program it.  Of
> course, if the board has lots of programmable gate arrays, this won't help
> much..

it is based on the Cirrus Logic CD1400, which we already have a driver for
(that didn't work it said in the source code last I looked, though that seems
to be fixed now) dev/ic/cy.c.  Additionally, the data sheet is available
from CL (one is on the way) and I have some other information that I
gleaned from somewhere once.

couple of things, not having written a unix device driver before (though I
bought a book "Writing a Unix Device Driver" by E. Tiexeiera):

in the match function, how do I know if I got a Magma serial board?

its all very well knowing how to program the CD1400, but how do I find
out where it is?

these are the things that have kept me from starting by buying the thing as
they are a bit expensive..

iain