Subject: Re: current dies on SS20; perhaps a MAXBSIZE problem?
To: Aaron Brown <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/1997 15:06:40
On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Aaron Brown wrote:

> Now that NetBSD/sparc supports sun4m's with lots of main memory, perhaps
> it is time to lower the kernel's start address to 0xf0000000 or something.
> This would certainly help alleviate the buffer cache kva crunch. I'm not
> sure how this will affect the MMUs on the sun4c's--will they run out of
> pmegs for the kernel? On the sun4m, it only costs a bit more wired pagetable,
> which IMHO is worth being able to use the larger buffer cache.

Do you really want to know? 8^)

What I would like to see is some way to steal pages off the free list for
kernel pmaps or a way to correlate a vm_map to a pmap so I don't have to
wire down big sections of RAM for kernel mappings.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier