Subject: Re: Cheap SPARCstation 5's
To: Michael J. Miller Jr. <mke@terrapin.turbolift.com>
From: Jason Fearon <jasonf@comnet.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/28/1997 09:26:38
Michael J. Miller Jr. writes:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Michael Ritzert wrote:
>
> >    over the same colormap entry.  Even at 40% off, Sun's stuff is way
> >    overpriced.  Time has marched on, but Sun hasn't kept up.
> >
> > Not only sun --- look at the pricing of all workstation
> > manufacturers. But compared to the pricing the "professional" PCs (not
> > the ones intended for the consumers) of
> > some famous companies the pricing is not WAY off.
>
> The bottom line is you pay for quality.  I've managed a network that was
> a mixture of suns and PC's bought at about the same time.  Three years
> after purchase we hadn't lost a single Sparc.  We'd lost about half the
> PC's in that time, with failures in everything from monitors to CD-ROM
> drives to motherboards.
>
> When I want inexpensive hardware I buy a PC.  When I want reliable
> hardware I buy a sun.

Exactly, also you try pushing any PC arch machine to it's limits as far as
bus transfer goes and the PC will choke where as the Sun won't seeing their
bus structure and entire architecture were designed from the ground up to
handle high data rates unlike the PC who's bus design hasn't changed much
in the past 15 years apart from getting wider ;).

--
      Jason E Fearon B.Eng       |              Ph: +61-2-899-5700 bh.
   Technical  Support Manager    |  Net Handles - Sidewindr, Zaphod   DoD #0435