Subject: writing a driver for a serial board
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/25/1997 21:45:19
Hello, I'm still pissed off that my SS1 can only get 9600 baud from its
serial ports, and I was thinking again of the Magma LC 2+1 Sp card (2 high
speed serial, 1 parallel port) to run my modem from - I asked a year or so
ago about getting the specs or somesuch, and was made an offer of the source
for their driver in return for non-distribution of the source for my
version..  I wasn't too keen at the time so let it pass.

now though, I noticed that you can (and I have) downloaded the drivers for
free from ftp.cerf.net:/pub/vendor/magma/sun, though they do me no good at
the moment - they are for SunOS or Solaris naturally, but I'm wondering if
there is anything I can do to disassemble or poke through the bits and bytes
to discover how to twiddle the bits of the card directly.  I tried with gdb
but it just says that the files (lkm's they are) are not in executable format
- maybe this is because they are not NetBSD executable format?

(I don't suppose there is a hope in hell that SunOS emulation would make
it work..?)

in the solaris archive, there is a 96k include file sys/mhreg.h that possibly
contains useful information about where the bits to twiddle are along with
trade secret notices etc..

I was worried about buying a board, because the software licence no doubt
prohibits disassembly etc, and I was wondering if I could get into trouble if
I managed to write a driver then released the code..  is anybody interested
in picking through the [freely downloadable] drivers and cobbling together
enough information so that I can write the driver from a clean room
viewpoint? (and because I don't know SPARC machine language at all, so its
unlikely I can do that bit on my own :)

I asked a few months ago at Magma if anybody else running NetBSD had
expressed an interest in one of their boards, and nobody had since I asked
the year before apparently..  are there not any other NetBSD/sparc users
who need faster serial ports?

iain